The Year of the Mobile Employee: Global Mobility in 2021
As 2021 begins, I want to take a moment to look toward the year ahead. While we can’t be sure what the year may bring (2020 taught us that well!), I’m confident in a bright future for the global mobility industry and our company. The news is filled with hope about the end of the pandemic in the coming months, and Graebel finished 2020 with our strongest year of new business growth in company history — a good indicator that companies are focusing on global mobility as they plan for the post-pandemic world.
Graebel is declaring 2021 “The Year of the Mobile Employee.” This means recognising the vital role that mobile employees play in helping to meet the talent needs and strategies of companies around the world, and the rich professional and personal development opportunities that mobility provides. You’ll hear more from us on this topic throughout the year.
Forging Ahead in 2021
- Creating Exceptional Experiences: We’ve built a culture where you can expect our employees and supplier partners to do everything in their power to create exceptional experiences for all clients and assignees. It’s part of our commitment and our duty of care and that will never change.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: As a global company, fostering diversity has always been important to us. We began our journey for a more inclusive workplace in 2019 and in 2020 we continued our efforts, expanding our DEI Council to its current form with 37 global members and making its mission central to all our global mobility work. We’re excited to keep building on this in 2021.
- Technology: 2020 showed us just how integral technology is to our lives and our work. And we know having the right technology to support assignees’ relocations can make or break their exceptional experiences. So, we’re committed to expanding our technology solutions and capabilities— ranked 1 in data security by mobility managers — to continue to meet the ever-evolving needs of our clients and their assignees.
- Maintaining Client Confidence: Graebel was ranked No. 1 for Organisational and Financial Stability in recent global mobility market research and we intend to retain that position in 2021. Our 2020 new business growth, the best in our history, has helped to set us up for success.
- Global Economic Recovery: As clients’ needs evolve and adjust this year to accommodate re-opening of borders and economic recovery, we’re ready to partner with them on strategic mobility programmes that meet business goals and support talent recruitment and retainment.
- Talent Acquisition and Development: With the ongoing challenges to cross-border travel, we expect mobility managers to partner closely with their HR peers and business leaders to better understand their options for sourcing talent. Some may look to domestic relocations for talent that can get to work right away. Others may look at virtual assignments to continue leadership and development opportunities for their highest potential employees. Many have already committed to virtual internships to ensure they continue to build their talent pipeline. Whatever the objective, our team of mobility professionals around the world is poised to support our clients with innovative and strategic solutions to meet those business needs.
- Mobile Employee Journey: Creating exceptional experiences relies on an understanding of what’s important to the mobile employee. We’re taking a deeper dive into this topic with our reimagined State of Mobility 2021 report, to be published in Q1 — keep an eye out for it!
As we look to tackle the challenges and opportunities over the horizon in 2021 and beyond, we’ll keep coming back to our purpose of opening a world of opportunity. By celebrating the journey of strategic mobility and striving to improve the opportunities ahead for ourselves, our clients and their employees, we aim to reposition a daunting challenge for many into an exceptional experience for all. Join us in adapting to the ever-changing needs of global companies and employees as we look to the world ahead.